Employment Opportunities At Bearskin Lodge
Bearskin Lodge is the premier family resort located on the famous Gunflint Trail, about 26 miles from the town of Grand Marais, MN. We are on the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Right outside our door are a million and a half acres of pristine lakes and rivers. Our facilities are the best available.
It takes much hard work by dedicated staff to maintain the quality of service our guests have come to expect. If you are interested in joining the Bearskin staff, we would like to hear from you! Fill out our job application and forward it to us. The application is found linked to this page at the bottom.
Important! Before applying please click here to read this information page. Not everyone will be happy working at Bearskin. See if you’re well-suited to living here before you apply. >
Fall 2015 and Winter 2025-2016
At this point we are well-staffed for Fall, 2015. If you are interested in the Winter Season, please contact us in November when we will have a better idea about who will be staying for the next season. All job applicants need to fill out our application, provide us with a resume, and write a cover letter outlining the relevant experience and interests. Because we don’t always meet you in person, a picture included with the materials is often very helpful.
We find that many people who work in the resort industry often don’t realize that the quality of the effort they made filling out their application, their cover letter, and resume plays a huge role in whether they get the job. Bearskin hires some pretty well-educated employees. We figure if a potential employee doesn’t want to take the time to fill out the paperwork, they probably aren’t up to the standards needed to do the job here.
FYI–computer scams: Some of the hottest computer virus scams of this era are letters sent to businesses with the appearance of being a job application. We don’t open those. Do follow our application procedures if you’d like to work here, because if you do it differently we probably won’t even open your e-mail.
Long-term employment goals — looking towards the future
Over time we are hoping to hire people who want to stay for a year or more, become part of our Bearskin “family” of happy employees, and who will might be willing to make a long term commitment to living on the Gunflint Trail. The following is a list of job skills we eventually wish to fill with permanent employees. Please note: these jobs are not necessarily available right now. We are collecting names and info so that when the next job opening becomes available we have a high-quality group of potential employees who have expressed their interest and provided their info.
We find that the happiest people up here are couples, who already have a built-in friend to share the active life with up in the northwoods. If you are interested in the Gunflint Trail life, and you possess these skills, consider sending us an application to keep on file.
1. **Housekeeper, with management potential — Highest need for upcoming year. Experienced, detail-oriented, sensible housekeeper with previous hotel/resort experience or, just as good, a natural skill for organizing and cleaning. Needs the ability to get along well with others with minimal drama, and to willingly lead and teach a team of less-experienced, probably younger summer employees. Self-directed and able to see what needs to be done, and then take charge to do it. If you like housekeeping and would enjoy being focused on this process, you have a skill that would get our attention right now.
2. Creative food service person — do you love to cook? Would you like to cook and bake at Bearskin, run our weekly restaurant, and make management decisions about offering and ordering food? We don’t have a need for a full-time cook/baker, but we would really like to find an employee for other positions who also enjoys creative kitchen work.
3. All-purpose general resort maintenance employee — self-directed, independent worker responsible for routine daily indoor and outdoor maintenance of our cabins, lodges, boats and canoes, campground, trails, and resort equipment. Especially interested in a future employee who comes with some knowledge of woodworking, plumbing, electricity, or boat and equipment motors on a small scale. There is a great deal of lifting and physical effort required in this position –the applicant needs to be very physically fit.
Do all of these jobs sound like fun to you? Our ideal employees cross-train so they can occasionally fill other positions. Let us know if you are a flexible employee with interests in several areas.
After a trial period, benefits may be offered to the right candidate. On site housing is available, but we consider it an added plus if the employee lives in the Gunflint Trail area. Salary to be determined based on experience and potential.
If interested, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
with a cover letter describing experience and skills; include a resume if possible. No phone calls or visists at this time, please.
E-mail us first.
Do you already live in the area? You are our ideal employee because we know you like it here and are up to the challenge of northwoods living. If you’re new to the area, read the employee info page here before applying. To apply, send a cover letter explaining your reasons for being interested in Bearskin and a resume outlining your skills, background, and references to email@example.com
Summer Jobs 2016 | apply starting in January
What you need to know before you apply: We will begin hiring staff for next summer in January 2016. Please read the employment information linked to this page before you apply.
Looking for summer housekeeping, front desk, and outfitting staff. Housing available but there may be an extra bonus if you have a nearby cabin or home where you can reside for the summer. Join our staff this summer.
1. Front desk/ housekeeping/outfitting combination job — your day might include teaching a naturalist class, cleaning a canoe, talking to guests at front desk, and doing housekeeping in a cabin. We love employees who cheerfully embrace all the jobs we do at a wilderness resort. Note: everybody, and we do mean everybody, helps with housekeeping sometimes. Only apply if you are willing to help with all the jobs.
2. Outdoor maintenance: Clean canoes and outfitting gear, mow grass, get boats for guests, use and take care of power tools, paint buildings, care for the campground, put gas in motors, and help with all other resort jobs. Must be independent, self-directed employee with the right clothes and attitude to work outside much of the time. Ideal candidate for this position will also be able to cheerfully help with front desk and housekeeping duties.
3. Housekeepers: detail-oriented employees to keep our beautiful cabins in top shape for the next arrivals. Can be combined with other jobs, or if you prefer to always stay behind the scenes could be full-time in the housekeeping department.
4. Naturalist: part-time position that will be combined with other resort jobs this year. Teach classes, take guests on hikes, and direct the naturalist program 3 days a week; help with other resort jobs for 2 days. Good communication or teaching skills essential. Arts & crafts interest helpful. Position can be used as college internship if needed.
It is essential when you apply that you provide us with accurate ending dates for your summer availability. If you will be returning to college after the summer, check your college’s 2016 calendar before you apply. We don’t hire “extra” people like larger resorts often do, planning that a certain percentage of employees will quit or get fired. We truly intend to keep you all summer if you are hired here. We choose our staff based on employing the correct number of people to get us through the season, so ending dates are very important. As is the case with all summer jobs, choosing to leave Bearskin earlier than your contractual end date leaves your co-workers and employers overworked and unhappy. Please decide on the right end date from the time you apply.
If you think you’d be a good match for Bearskin, fill out the application linked to this page. Be sure to include references. We will call or e-mail them before we hire you. A good cover letter explaining your interest in Bearskin employment helps set your application apart — tell us more about yourself.
We try to do in-person interviews, but in case we can’t meet with you, it always helps if a picture is included with your application. It may be the only way we “meet” before you apply.
We pay an hourly wage, not a set “per month” salary. We adhere to fair employment practices. You will not be asked to work a large number of unexpected hours, and if circumstances require many more hours, you will be paid well for your extra time.