Employment Opportunities At Bearskin Lodge
Bearskin Lodge is the premier family resort located on the famous Gunflint Trail, about 26 miles from the town of Grand Marais, MN. We are on the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Right outside our door are a million and a half acres of pristine lakes and rivers. Our facilities are the best available.
It takes much hard work by dedicated staff to maintain the quality of service our guests have come to expect. If you are interested in joining the Bearskin staff, we would like to hear from you! Fill out our job application and forward it to us. The application is found linked to this page at the bottom.
- food service experience–ability to run a occasional or frequent restaurant service, order food, and maintain kitchen to high standards
- experience and enjoyment of routine resort repairs — painting, fixing, minor plumbing, maybe even some remodeling skills
- experience and an interest in doing regular web work–wordpress maintenance, google analytics, web site updates, Facebook updates; we don’t need an expert, but we do need someone with a little background in this who can help
- housekeeping management — we’d like to find someone who gets joys out of managing housekeeping, to take some of the burden off the staff member who shoulders most of this responsibility
We don’t expect to find a couple who could fill all of these roles (although that would be very cool), but we’d like to fill a few gaps. If you might be that couple, let’s talk.
Long-term employment goals — looking towards the future
Summer Jobs 2016 | apply starting in January
What you need to know before you apply: We will begin hiring staff for next summer in January 2016. Please read the employment information linked to this page before you apply.
Looking for summer housekeeping, front desk, and outfitting staff. Housing available but there may be an extra bonus if you have a nearby cabin or home where you can reside for the summer. Join our staff this summer.
1. Front desk/ housekeeping/outfitting combination job — your day might include teaching a naturalist class, cleaning a canoe, talking to guests at front desk, and doing housekeeping in a cabin. We love employees who cheerfully embrace all the jobs we do at a wilderness resort. Note: everybody, and we do mean everybody, helps with housekeeping sometimes. Only apply if you are willing to help with all the jobs.
2. Outdoor maintenance: Clean canoes and outfitting gear, mow grass, get boats for guests, use and take care of power tools, paint buildings, care for the campground, put gas in motors, and help with all other resort jobs. Must be independent, self-directed employee with the right clothes and attitude to work outside much of the time. Ideal candidate for this position will also be able to cheerfully help with front desk and housekeeping duties.
3. Housekeepers: detail-oriented employees to keep our beautiful cabins in top shape for the next arrivals. Can be combined with other jobs, or if you prefer to always stay behind the scenes could be full-time in the housekeeping department.
4. Naturalist: part-time position that will be combined with other resort jobs this year. Teach classes, take guests on hikes, and direct the naturalist program 3 days a week; help with other resort jobs for 2 days. Good communication or teaching skills essential. In 2015 we had someone in this position who was an artist and could teach actual painting classes; we’d be very excited to repeat that experience. Position can be used as college internship if needed.
It is essential when you apply that you provide us with accurate ending dates for your summer availability. If you will be returning to college after the summer, check your college’s 2016 calendar before you apply. We don’t hire “extra” people like larger resorts often do, planning that a certain percentage of employees will quit or get fired. We truly intend to keep you all summer if you are hired here. We choose our staff based on employing the correct number of people to get us through the season, so ending dates are very important. As is the case with all summer jobs, choosing to leave Bearskin earlier than your contractual end date leaves your co-workers and employers overworked and unhappy. Please decide on the right end date from the time you apply.
If you think you’d be a good match for Bearskin, fill out the application linked to this page. Be sure to include references. We will call or e-mail them before we hire you. A good cover letter explaining your interest in Bearskin employment helps set your application apart — tell us more about yourself.
We try to do in-person interviews, but in case we can’t meet with you, it always helps if a picture is included with your application. It may be the only way we “meet” before you apply.
We pay an hourly wage, not a set “per month” salary. We adhere to fair employment practices. You will not be asked to work a large number of unexpected hours, and if circumstances require many more hours, you will be paid well for your extra time.