General summer availability info: A large percentage of Bearskin cabins and lodges are reserved one year ahead of time for prime summer dates, but we always end up with a few changes and cancellations over time. As we get close to summer, this page is regularly updated with a listing of current openings. You can also use the availability box in the upper right-hand corner of the pages to check your options. Or give us a call for the most accurate current information.
During peak season (June 17 – August 27) most Bearskin cabins are rented for full weeks. Cabin 8 and Lodge 4 are always available for shorter stays. We usually open up cabins for shorter stays if they are still unbooked 2-3 weeks before the dates. If you need specific dates for a shorter stay, call us — we might be able to make it work, especially if your dates include the first or last half of a full week. Sometimes we can break weeks in two parts, especially if the dates you want don’t come out of the middle of the week. Talk to our front desk staff about options. We can frequently make something work for you, especially if you have some date flexibility.
Take a peek at each cabin and see rates for your dates by clicking here.
We update this page occasionally so you can quickly peruse a list to find an available date that fits your plans. However, the best way to check the most current availability is to use the reservation request form in the upper right-hand corner of this page.
- June 18-25, Saturday to Saturday: Cabin 1 (6/19 – 7/2); Cabin 2; Cabin 3; Cabin 4 (6/20 – 6/25); Cabin 5
- June 19 – 26, Sunday to Sunday: Cabin 9; Cabin 10
- June 25 – July 2, Saturday to Saturday: Cabin 1; Cabin 5; Cabin 6
- June 26 – July 3, Sunday to Sunday: Cabin 9; Cabin 10
- July 2 – 9, Saturday to Saturday: Cabin 5; Cabin 6 (7/6 – 7/9)
- July 3 – 10, Sunday to Sunday: FULL
- July 9 – 16, Saturday to Saturday: FULL
- July 10 – 17, Sunday to Sunday: FULL
- July 16 – 23, Saturday to Saturday: Cabin 5;
- July 17 – 24, Sunday to Sunday: FULL
- July 23 – 30, Saturday to Saturday: Cabin 2
- July 24 – 31, Sunday to Sunday: FULL
- July 30 – August 6, Saturday to Saturday: Cabin 2; Cabin 3; Cabin 8
- July 31 – August 7, Sunday to Sunday: FULL
- August 6 – 13, Saturday to Saturday: Cabin 5
- August 7 – 14, Sunday to Sunday: Lodge 4 (7/11 -7/14)
- August 13 – 20, Saturday to Saturday: Cabin 1; Cabin 3 (7/17 – 7/20)
- August 14 – 21, Sunday to Sunday: Lodge 4 (8/18 – end of Aug.)
- Aug. 20-27 Saturday to Saturday: FULL
- August 21 – 28, Sunday to Sunday: Cabin 8, Lodge 1; Lodge 2; Lodge 3 (8/21 – 8/24); Lodge 4
- August 27 on : many openings
Can you stay at Bearskin for less than a full week?
Yes! But you may have to reserve early to get the shorter stay cabins at popular times in mid-summer. Full week rentals are in force for many (but not all) cabins during the busiest, high-demand times of summer. Don’t let the number of days worry you if you are a fall, winter, spring or early summer traveler; this is strictly a mid-summer, busy season policy for our most popular summer cabins.
Cabin 8 and Lodge 4 can usually be rented for shorter stays, even during peak summer dates. We prefer 3 night minimum stays, as it gives you enough time to enjoy our area; sometimes we have 2 night openings available. Single night openings are rare; providing one night of lodging is a different kind of business than we offer here at Bearskin.
One night openings often may be arranged for groups of people who are renting canoes and gear from Bearskin Wilderness Outfitters; arrange these rentals through the outfitters when you book your canoe trip. For other one night stays we encourage you to call one of the many nice motels in Grand Marais, which are in business for the purpose of single-night, transitory lodging.
How long should you stay?
To truly experience the Gunflint Trail area wilderness ambiance, especially if you make a lengthy drive to get here, it helps to be here long enough to slow down and begin to appreciate our unique environment. Most guests will spend the better part of a day driving to get here, with an equally long drive to get home. You’ll have more fun if you give yourself time to enjoy your destination.
We offer primarily full week rentals in the summer because it makes a much better family experience. In the other seasons, we encourage you to give yourself at least 3 nights unless you are driving from a closer city, such as Duluth. Many guests drive here for a weekend from all around Minnesota and Wisconsin, often spending 5 – 8 hours in the car. We know how precious time off from a job can be, but do consider finding a way to stay longer than 2 nights. From many locations a two – night stay results in one day of enjoyment surrounded by two days of long drives. You will come away with better memories if you give yourself enough time to make them.