Bearskin Lodge “Save Minnesota Moose” Weekend | November 1 – 3
All moose, all weekend
“Save Minnesota Moose” is an organization dedicated to raising funds to support more research into the causes of the decline in the Minnesota moose population. The organization’s agenda is to increase public awareness of the dwindling moose population and to raise funds to support future moose research of any type in Minnesota. This is a private event for Bearskin guests who have paid to reserve a cabin for the weekend because they love learning about Minnesota moose. This is not a public forum; it is for Bearskin guests only, please.
Friday: check in anytime Friday afternoon or evening.
· 5:30: Wine tasting and appetizers in the Main Lodge with Robin Johnson, from the Save Minnesota Moose organization. Meet by the fireplace in the Lodge.
Saturday: Breakfast on your own in your cabin
· Ongoing: Silent auction for moose art downstairs near the Main Lodge west entryway.
· AM: Speaker from Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, presenting information on the 2013 Minnesota collared moose study. Questions and answers will be taken after the presentation.
· 12:00: Lunch. Make your own arrangements, or you can purchase a soup or chili lunch in the Lodge. (Let us know if you think you’ll do this so we come close on making the right amount of soup and chili.)
· PM: A local moose photographer discusses how to find and photograph moose. He’ll show his pictures and share the stories behind them. Nace will also have his books and photographs available to purchase.
· 2:30 PM: Self-guided moose safari: Now that you’ve developed some expertise about moose in our area, we’ll send you to the Gunflint Trail’s moose hotspots. Bring your camera!
· 5:30 PM: Reconvene in the Main Lodge for more wine and appetizers. Share your moose stories and pictures.
· 6:00 PM: Potluck in the Main Lodge for all group members who wish to join us. Bring a dish to share; simple is fine, we’re an easy-to-please group! Bread and salad provided by Bearskin. Wine, beer, and other beverages available for purchase. If you would prefer to dine out, we’ll have a list available of all open restaurants within a 30 mile radius of Bearskin.
· 8:00 AM – 9:30 AM: Complimentary Northwoods pancake breakfast in the Main Lodge. Eat anytime; we’ll hope groups spread out their times a little bit, as we won’t all fit at the breakfast tables at once.
· Silent Auction: Winners announced, pick up your auction purchases if you win an item.
· Check out: Keep your eyes open for moose on your journey home!
Rates for Bearskin classic and luxury lakeside cabins range from $138 to $292 per night for this weekend. All weekend highlights included at this price.
A portion of all proceeds from Bearskin Lodge Save Minnesota Moose Weekend will be donated to Saveminnesotamoose.org
Fall Work Weekend
2014 note: The date for Work Weekend in 2014 is still being decided. Halloween and the Minnesota deer season opener are interfering with our usual work weekend date possibilities. Info will be posted here when we make a plan.
Join us for the 3rd Annual Bearskin “Work Weekend” | October 25 & 26, 2013| $98 per person for the entire weekend
October 25 & 26, 2013. Join the Bearskin crew for the final trimming on Bearskin’s miles and miles of wilderness Ski Trails. Check into your Bearskin cabin Friday night. Be part of our crew Saturday morning on the trails for final hand trimming. Work until 1:00, then head back to your cabin for a late lunch. Join us Saturday night for dinner in the main lodge. Checkout on Sunday morning. All for only $98/person. Of course, we expect a little trail clearing work from you in exchange for the great price, but we promise the emphasis will be on the “weekend” not “work.”
This was really fun for everyone last year. We have jobs of varying difficulty available, but most of what we do involves taking a pleasant hike on trails while nipping off overhanging branches — an enjoyable way to spend a few hours, outdoors and in good company. Make it a part of your fall tradition.